Established in 1992 as a part of the "National Initiative on Rural Development," the Council is voluntary and brings together six partner groups:
- Local / Regional Government
- State Government
- Federal Government
- Tribal Government
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Private Sector Individuals and Organizations
- Assist rural communities in visioning and strategic planning.
- Serve as a resource for assisting communities in finding and acquiring grants for rural projects.
- Serve and be recognized as a neutral forum for identification and resolution of multi-jurisdictional issues.
- Promote, through education, the understanding of the needs, values, and contributions of rural communities.
To enhance partnerships that strengthen the vitality of rural Wyoming